By OTS Staff
On July 2, 1971, the Plaza Hotel & Casino (formerly known as the Union Plaza) opened as the biggest hotel and casino in the world. The downtown property consisted of 22 stories, 504 rooms and a 66,000-square-foot casino. During the 1980s, Union Plaza added a convention center, which made it the first downtown property catering to meetings and events.
Throughout the years, the Plaza has continued to upgrade its hotel and casino, including a retro rooftop pool, 21-story murals and Core Arena. Now in 2021, the Plaza Hotel & Casino is offering a number of special promotions and events throughout the year.
• The Plaza will be giving away $50,000 in cash prizes, with a $20,000 grand prize.
• The casino will use commemorative anniversary casino chips on all table games in 2021.
• For this special occasion, the Plaza is offering a Years of Fun hotel package, which includes upgraded rooms, $50 food credit (per stay) and free slot play ($10 per day up to five days).
• Couples celebrating 10 or more years of marriage can enter to win a wedding anniversary vow renewal celebration that includes a full reception or complimentary two-night stay.
• Property bars will be offering 20 oz. Souvenir Disco Cups for double cocktails for $10.
• There will be a TBA special event taking place during the Fourth of July anniversary weekend.
• Fun Fact: One of the most popular scenes in the movie “Casino” was filmed at Oscar’s Steakhouse.